Time: January 31, 2010 from 11am to 7pm
Group Type: Diverse; Broadwell Hill, Southeast Ohio
City/Town: Broadwell, Ohio
Website or Map: http://www.broadwellhill.org/…
Event Type: candle making, imbolc, candlemas, tradition, party, potluck, welcoming the return of the light!, magical tools, ttusoh
Organized By: Mamaka Candelaria (AKA Kathy Jacobson)
Latest Activity: Aug 29, 2010
The Ceremonial Pouring of Candelaria Beeswax Tapers on Broadwell Hill
You are hereby invited to join us for 2010 Annual Beeswax Candle Making Party on Broadwell Hill, between Amesville and Stewart in Southeast Ohio. (Don't feel left out if you live too far away...see below for a way for you to be a part of the collective process.)
11 AM - 7 PM
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Directions with maps are available on the Broadwell Hill site.
- Don't forget to try to carpool as we are about 30 min from Athens, 45 from Marietta. Please call if you would like help hooking up with someone from your area who is heading this way.
- Enjoy the journey into this altered reality; show up anytime during the day and stay as long as you like.
- Athens' Own is contributing refreshments; but please feel more than welcome to bring your own special contributions, as well as a donation for our local food bank, the Kilvert Community Center.
We shall melt 100% local, Athens/Washington County Beeswax and create wands of healing light while perpetuating a unique method that is actually quite dead to the world of candle makers today.
- Please reflect upon your prayers, wishes and hopes for 2010 in your life, others and the planet as a whole.
- Write them down, create a poem and/or a song, write a letter to an unborn grandchild, or a species on the brink of extinction, draw a picture, etc. Pour your heart out, express any grief or sorrow and feel empowered as you wrap it up with a positive, goal oriented message. Send this gift to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll print it out to beccome a part of the celebratory process. (You can also call the shack, 740-448-4000 or relay to KC8ZHR on frequency 145.50, on the day of the event if you want to say hi to everyone here.)
- The messages will be rolled up in a scroll and hung from the candle wheel in a mindful fashion.
- The messages will then be read out loud as we pour one thin layer of 100% melted beeswax over the hanging wicks until the candles gradually reach the desired size.
- Everyone's prayers will be symbolically embodied in the tapers. They will be gently released with a glowing flame anytime, anyone, anywhere, burns them. The wishes will therefore spread out into the universe on rippling waves of light for the benefit of all.
- These special Candelaria Tapers will also be available in exchange for a contribution to our collective efforts toward adaptation and resiliency. (The candles are a unit of exchange within our system of reciprocity.)
Pictures, with more to come, can be viewed in the Candelaria Crafts photo album on the Transition Ohio site.
You might also want to check out the following web sites:
:- Celebrating the Seasons
- Circle Sanctuary Sharings
- The Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, The Purification of the Virgin, Candlemas