See GLOBAL SIGHTINGS OF COMPLEMENTARY CURRENCIES below. The listing includes the 20 newest mentions of "complementary currencies" or "complementary currency" found anywhere on the web. The list is updated daily.
- Discussions: Contribute to a discussion on any of the following topics or start a new discussion on related topics.
- Doers vs. Talkers: If you are inclined to dump tons of endless paragraphs about these issues, particularly other websites where people talk, talk, talk, and talk about local currencies, think again! This space is for DOERS. Ask you neighbor if you can trade something of value without using cash currencies: Report the details and results here. Try out the babysitting example: Ask for something you want "in trade" before "volunteering" the next time. Report your experiences below.
A Few Talking Points
- Baby sitting pool model case -- You take mine for the weekend; in turn, I take yours for another weekend -- win-win
- Lawn mowers and lawn mowing -- My neighbor "borrows" my lawn mower and agrees to mow my lawn in exchange for his not having to purchase a mower.
- Precondition: I have NEEDS. I have OFFERS. Ready to TRADE some of mine for some of yours.
- Barter Exchanges -- Ancient model for trading needs and offers. Limited to two people or businesses.
- Currency -- Exchange among MORE THAN TWO entities -- imagine the baby sitting pool with 60 couples -- Keeping track of kids and balances -- Oi!!!
- Local Flow -- what goes around comes around -- Cf. Walmart, Home Depot, Starbucks -- Cash register payments go immediately out-of-state. Cf. Trade Local.
- Local business incentives -- Local carpenter paid 40% alternative and 60% cash for painting local business establishment. Local business gets beautiful paint job. Painter redeems credits for meals for the family. Parties for Transitioners.
- Local Tax Authorities -- how would you like to receive credit toward your real estate taxes with value you accumulate by working for Transition...
- Electronic "banking" -- debits, credits, balances, negative balances, invoices, statements, accounting, IRS -- without "outsourcing" our record keeping to cash banks
- Paper money -- Ithica dollars -- "In Ithica we trust"
- IRS -- Accounting requirements for professional services vs. "volunteer" services
Sign up. We're establishing a mailing list at this point. Determining the scope of local interest. We have also set up an online trading account which will be used as a prototype -- sponsored by my community, Nighthawk Circle in Louisville. Sometime around mid-November we'll actually begin real local trading. When we're up to speed and your locality is ready, this group will assist to set up your own community exchange. Patience! There's groundwork to be laid.