MIMIC THIS! When you get invited to events 3000 miles away (or 20 of them just across town), use COPY & PASTE with the really interesting events to seed your own community's plans for similar events. Why start from scratch.... Beg, borrow and mimic! More....
How are you currently involved in the Transition movement?
The Northwest Earth Institute is recognized as a national leader in the development of innovative programs that empower individuals and organizations to transform culture toward a sustainable and enriching future. Since 1993, over 100,000 people throughout the United States and Canada have taken our courses and in 20 regions outside the Northwest, “sister” earth institutes have formed to address local issues, organize discussions, and empower local communities.
In what ways do you identify with the Transition movement? Why are you interested?
To underscore the powerful effect of personal change, NWEI holds the following mission: Inspiring people to take responsibility for Earth.
NWEI has spent the past 16 years motivating individuals to:
• examine and transform personal values and habits,
• accept responsibility for Earth, and
• act on that commitment.
We seek to partner with other organizations involved in the Transition movement to further the goal of creating sustainable communities that foster environmental and social change.
How can you help the growth/acceptance/vitality of the Transition movement? What can YOU teach us? What can your GROUP teach us?
Today, NWEI offers seven study guides for small groups. These self-guided discussion courses are offered in workplaces, universities, homes, faith centers, neighborhoods, and community centers throughout North America. Each program encourages participants to explore values, attitudes, and actions through discussion with other people.
** Please contact us at email@example.com or 503-227-2807 or visit our website at http://nwei.org for more information on how to organize and participate in one of the courses listed below.**
Basic information on the seven courses offered:
▶ Menu for the Future
- Explore food systems and their impacts on culture, society and
- Gain insight into agricultural and individual practices that promote
personal and ecological well-being
- Consider ways to create and support sustainable food systems
▶ Global Warming: Changing CO2urse
- Explore personal values and habits as they relate to climate change
- Deepen an understanding of the history and science of global warming
- Consider both individual and community level actions to curb global
▶ Choices for Sustainable Living
- Explore the meaning of sustainability
- Consider the ties between lifestyle choices and their impact on Earth
- Learn about steps that can be taken to move toward ecologically
sustainable organizations, lifestyles, and communities.
▶ Voluntary Simplicity
- Gain an understanding of the meaning of voluntary simplicity
- Explore the material and psychological distractions that prevent us
from caring for Earth
- Consider how life might be enriched through the practice of simplicity
▶ Healthy Children – Healthy Planet
- Understand how the pervasive effects of advertising, media,and our
consumer culture can influence a child’s view of the
- Discover ways to create meaningful family times and healthful
environments for children
- Explore ways to develop a child’s connection to nature,and to foster
▶ Exploring Deep Ecology
- Clarify Earth-related values through discussions about deep ecology
and related topics
- Discover how personal values affect the way we view and treat the
- Explore what it means to take personal responsibility for the Earth
▶ Discovering a Sense of Place
- Gain an understanding of the meaning of a bioregional perspective,
and what it would mean to develop one
- Consider the benefits of consciously developing an intimate
relationship with your place
- Explore what it might mean to protect the place we live
Thank you for your reply.
I had look around your web site and now understand your activites. However when I clicked on the link for the Eco challenge it was broken. I cliked thru from your page.
I will follow with interest this concept of an national eco-challenge.
After that event I will be in contact as regards the Global Sustainability Gathering. Thanks for replying to me.
Hi there from Australia.
This is great - it is the first time I have ever seen an Institute in a Ning group. Congratulations !
So does the instutute host forums, seminars etc ?
I am involved in creating a global sustainability gathering via
also seeking environment journalists as well.
Thanks for your time
michael in perth
an unable to invite you as a friend that has to come from you, due to a software problem
I will get a press release out in the end of August and see how many folks i can pull together. We have done the Choices workshop a few years back as well as Menu for the Future and Voluntary Simplicity. Do you think you might ever create a workshop about Peak Oil and transitioning? Could help move this effort along.